Monday, March 26, 2012

Remembering Lola

Yesterday, our family celebrated the 92nd birthday of our beloved Lola Sylvia (Lola Bebing as we - her grandchildren call her) at Balingasag. It was the first birthday where we celebrated without her. She passed away last year. 
 
Lola on her 90th birthday

I went inside her room to relax a bit before traveling back home with my mother and brother. I saw her stuff toys and doll collection on the hanging cabinets - gifts given by friends, sons and daughters, and grandchildren, her photo albums with family pictures from decades ago up to the present, and photo frames of her children and grandchildren - I saw the little me on that picture frame. Those things reflected the things my lola valued the most - her family and friends.

I've had great memories with Lola:

- A great story teller. I always get hooked when it was time for her to tell stories. My favorite was that of a prince who's love for a maiden was tested against all odds (thanks to my poor memory, I can no longer recall the title of that story).

- A thoughtful grandma. She never failed to give us presents on birthdays and on Christmas. She would even secretly put bills or coins on our pockets (when the elders were not looking) every time we visit her. She would cook meals and prepare snacks for us when we were around. She always treated us like her little princes and princesses - even when we were already grown ups.

- A proud lola. She would always mention to her kumares the achievements of her grandchildren.

- A secret keeper. I share my crushes with her. I show her the pictures and she would always say I had good taste!

I simply miss her.

me and lola

with her grandchildren and great grandchildren

I miss you Lola. We all do.
Thank you for the genuine love you exuded to all of us.


No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online